The Stone Arch Bridge is the only bridge of it’s kind along the Mississippi River. Having 23 arches, it is 2100 feet long and contains 100,000 tons of limestone and granite. It was built by railroad baron James J. Hill and completed in 1883. It was originally used as a railroad bridge and carried as many as 48 passenger trains into Minneapolis everyday. Now it is part of the St. Anthony Falls Heritage Trail and used as a walking and bike path. It is significant historical landmark that forms an integral part of the redeveloped Minneapolis Riverfront. The bridge is just below St. Anthony Falls which is the birthplace of Minneapolis and was the only true waterfall on the Mississippi River.